So...I have been wanting a backdrop stand for my baby photography for about a year or so. Several months ago, I went to Amazon.com (my go-to place for photography stuff) to do some research on them. I found one I loved that was a really good price and had excellent reviews. However, at the time I found it, I did not have the money to buy it yet, nor did I have an immediate need for it. I was happy knowing I had found the one I wanted, and so I waited to have the money to buy it. Well, I got some money for my birthday in April and I knew just what to do with it! I was kinda slow at putting the money into the bank (I was busy and kept forgetting), and even when I did get it in the bank, I still didn't buy my backdrop stand right away. Why not? I don't know for sure...hatred of parting with money even for something I really want, laziness, fear that I might decide I wanted to use the money on something else instead since I still didn't have an immediate need for the stand...? Well, last week I decided it was time to go ahead and get it since I have plans to use it in July when I take pictures of my new niece. When I looked it up on Amazon, I was devasted to find that even though the listing was still there, there was a message saying it was out of stock and they didn't know when or IF they would have it again! I panicked. I had been drooling over this stand, yet I had procrastinated in purchasing it and now it was gone! I was in tears! I had even checked on it a few weeks prior to this and it was still there...but over the course of those few weeks they ran out! I frantically checked E-Bay and googled it to try to find it elsewhere. I found it from the manufacturer for almost $300 (as opposed to less than $100 on Amazon), or from Buy.com for the same price as Amazon...but I would have to pay an additional $14 in shipping instead of getting free shipping. Hmm. Then I went back to Amazon to see what my other options were there. I could pay less for a lower-quality one with less-favorable reviews (no, thanks!), or spend $20 more for the same brand and almost the same product but with an upgrade. So I was left with paying $14 more for shipping for the original one I wanted, or pay $20 more for an upgrade, with free shipping. After debating, I went ahead and got the one for $20 more. I just wanted to order it and get it over with and avoid procrasting and missing out again! Well, as I was killing time before church today, I went to Amazon and looked up the original stand I wanted just to see. Guess what?! They have it again. Yes, it's true. Only one week later, they have the original stand I wanted at the price I liked with free shipping (I really don't need nor will I really use the upgrade of the one I got). Unfortunately, I received the stand I purchased in the mail on Friday, opened it, and tried it out. So...I will be keeping it. Ugh. Lesson learned! First...don't procrastinate! If you are sure you like a product, you know it's what you want/need, and you have the money for it...GET IT! I also learned that you shouldn't rush into anything and settle. I had time to wait to see if Amazon would get the original stand back, but the message sounded so ominous and truly made me think it was really risky to wait...but I should have at least waited a week or two since I do have a little time still before I need it. Grr. Oh well. I still really like what I got and I will just make myself take advantage of that $20 upgrade! Here she is!
5 comments:
Ugh!! I do that too! Keep thinking, I bet this will go on sale and then when it does it's gone or out of my size... Love the backdrop!! Can't wait to see the pictures you take with it!!
That sounds frustrating, but I think you got a great stand - and I love the backdrop! What is the clamp at the top? What a great way to hold the backdrop! Please send me an e-mail if you get the chance telling me where you got the clamp! :-) Can't wait to see the pictures!
Oh, that's beautiful! I love the one you got! Although, I don't know what the original one looked like, I really like this one. Have fun with it, even though it's not the perfect one!
I think that given the alternatives, you chose well to get the upgade with free shipping instead of just wasting money on shipping. Amazon is great, isn't it?
I can't wait to see the pictures! I love that damask pattern. I don't know how those stands work. Does it have different backdrops too? Anyway, I'll love seeing what you do with it. Bummer that it cost you an extra $20 though!
Post a Comment