Tuesday, December 30, 2008

Christmas with Ben and Janelle

Ben and I enjoyed our first Christmas with just the two of us this year. Unfortunately, we weren't able to go to Texas to be with Ben's family (as it was their turn to be graced with our presence), so we enjoyed what will probably be our only year of solitude for a very long time!

Christmas Eve:
We spent this evening with Ben's brother Luke. We had pizza from none other than Brick Oven, read Christmas stories (including the best one of all from the scriptures), played Phase 10, and watched The Santa Clause.

Christmas Day:
You might think we slept in since there were no children to wake us up, but we did not (at least not much). I woke up at 7:30, and with all the excitement and hunger pains, I couldn't go back to sleep. I convinced Ben to roll out of bed just before 8, and we began opening gifts. Here's Ben's favorite gift: (be sure to mute the music at the bottom so you can hear the video)



When I work at the take-out counter at Brick Oven, I sometimes get tips from generous people. I saved all my tips from June through November and was able to buy him the Wii system, everything he needs for two players, and two extra games (he got a third game from Mom and Dad D.-thanks!). He is one happy guy! He was given some other great gifts that he also loves from me and our other family members. Thanks, everyone, for your kind and generous gifts!
Here's my favorite gift that I was totally not expecting:







I have talked before about wanting to learn to play the guitar (I learned how to play a song once on a ukulele and thought it was fun and that it would also be fun to play the guitar). So, when our friends moved recently, Ben was offered the guitar at a good price and remembered that I had wanted to learn! What a great guy! He also gave me a few other great gifts, and so did family members. Thanks!

After gifts, we enjoyed a delicious breakfast made by Ben. We had toaster sandwiches (eggs, ham, cheese) and cinnamon rolls. Yum! Shortly after, I got to work preparing my first-ever Christmas dinner. Mom got a really cheap turkey just before Thanksgiving, so I decided that I wanted to show off my domestic skills that have lain dormant for far too long, and make our own feast! It was wonderful! The turkey was golden brown, the pan was full of yummy drippings which turned into delicious gravy, the stuffing was fluffy, the potatoes were creamy, the green beans were tasty, and the pecan pie was a little over-cooked but was so sweet and good! Luke came over again to share our lovely meal with us. We turned on some Christmas music and enjoyed a wonderful dinner. Thanks for answering all my phone calls and questions along the way, Mom!

After dinner, Luke and Ben played the Wii and then we all went to see the movie Bedtime Stories. It was a really cute movie! Afterwards, Ben and Luke spun around the empty, snow-covered parking lot doing donut after donut. It was actually pretty fun!

I love Christmas time and was so glad to have such a good time with my dear husband, and glad to share it with Luke. It was a wonderfully white Christmas, too! There was still plenty of snow on the ground, and a few flakes fell off and on all day from the gray skies. And, of all the gifts we received, we still remember our greatest gift; the gift of our Savior Jesus Christ. What a truly wonderful gift from our Father in Heaven. We have been truly blessed and are so grateful. We hope you all had a wonderful Christmas and have a Happy New Year!

5 comments:

Erin R. said...

What a very fun Christmas! I can't wait to hear you jam on your guitar and we are always up to challenge Ben on the Wii! Merry Christmas!

Anonymous said...

It looks like you had a really great Christmas! We missed you in Texas, but loved reading your blog about the big day! Merry Christmas you guys! Love, Delcie

Heather said...

That's so cute. I LOVE the guitar and its a great way to express emotions whether its angry feelings or sad or just happy. You'll love it. Anyways happy new year.

Rynell said...

Awesome Christmas post. We're jealous of your Wii.

Wait...that sounds bad. That's not what I meant...

Arizona Dunbars said...

Ben's reaction was priceless. We had to watch it several times and laughed each time.