Friday, February 20, 2009

Anger Management


I think I need some anger management classes! I got so mad tonight. Let me tell you why (it might help me to forget about it).
I went out to my car after a long shift tonight (3pm-12am) and found a boot on my car!! Not a cowboy boot or a snow boot, but one of those obnoxious orange metal things the towing companies put on and you have to pay them to have it removed! GRRRR!!!! At Brick Oven, there is an employee parking lot that is parking by permit only. Well, I happen to have one of those permits and I hang it on my mirror every day. Today, I can specifically remember every step taken and every detail of hanging that pass on my mirror as I drove to work; EVERY DETAIL! Well, I looked through my window and, sure enough, the pass was not hanging where it was when I got out of the car. I was horrified! I got in and looked and saw it on my center console where I keep it when I am not working. How did that happen?!? I knew I had hung it up...did it fall? It has never fallen before! I picked it up and experimented with holding it up to the mirror and dropping it. A few times, it fell to the floor boards. But one time, it fell right into the the spot where I found it. As unlikely as it was that it would fall like that, it was entirely possible and I was sure that must be what had happened. So now what? Well, I know that other employees have been booted before and have gone to a manager and had them call the company to come and remove it, but they usually charge $25 (rather than $65) to remove it. On occasion though, they have taken it off for free because the employee forgot to hang the pass and it was sitting in the car, visible. Well, I didn't even forget--it fell, and the pass was in the car visible if you were to really look, so I was sure I could get the ugly boot removed for free (especially because it was cold, late, and I was clearly an employee working there so late...you know, sympathy). Oh. My. Gosh. The guy was so mean! Granted, he was professionally polite...but he was still mean! He wouldn't budge on having me pay the $25. First of all, I had to call instead of the manager making the call for me because he doesn't like the guy, and second...he couldn't have cared less that it was cold, late, and that I was clearly an on-duty employee! I was so angry about this stupid situation that I obviously had no control over and the guy was so stubborn! I told him all about how I had put it up and that it had fallen. I told him how there was no way I would have known that it had fallen in order to fix it, and that it wasn't fair to punish me for something that was not my fault! Booting and towing is to prevent people who are not on-duty employees from parking there, and it was so clear that I was an employee on-duty! He claimed that it wasn't on the dash or the mirror and was not visible in the car, therefore he had the right to boot it. I yelled and argued and told him that I had it, I had hung it, it had fallen--not my fault, it was there and was mostly certainly visible if you looked through the window. He continued to claim that it was not visible, not even present at all, that he had video to prove it, and refused to get out of his truck to go look! Why? Because he knew that it was there and visible and he was being a jerk, and I told him so. He asked me if I was accusing him of lying and I said YES. Then I stormed back to my car, unlocked it, grabbed the pass and practically shoved it in his face to show him that it did exist and that I wouldn't have been able to grab it so quickly if it wasn't easily accessible...such as being in the console like I said, visible to anyone who would look! I asked if he had used a flashlight and he said he did. He either didn't look, or he didn't look very hard because it was pretty easy to see and he admitted that he usually checks consoles and such so that if it is visible, he won't boot. LIAR! He didn't look! AHHHH! I was so upset at him! Yeah, $25 isn't much, but it is when you know you shouldn't have to pay it because you did what you were supposed to do and a fluke thing happened that there is no way you could have known about! It's not like I can just go out to my car every hour and check on it, or even know that I should! When I asked to see his "video", he didn't say anything at first. When I continued to ask, he said finally said that it would cost $ to see it!!! RIDICULOUS! Isn't that supposed to be proof to back them up when someone argues? So why wouldn't he be happy to show it to me? BECAUSE...he knew I could prove him wrong...or he just didn't take it!
So, what's your opinion? Should I sign up for some anger management classes? :) I know I should have stayed calm while defending myself, but I couldn't help it. I was too mad to even think about that option. *SIGH* Well, what's done is done. Now I will be paranoid that it will happen again! Maybe I'll just start putting it on my dash just to make sure (even though I drove home with it on and it bounced and jiggled and didn't fall off or even come close...it was so weird!). We'll see. Thanks for reading my story!

7 comments:

tooeledunbars said...

Janelle, Hun I am so sorry you had to go through this. I know how it is to lose it when something happend and it was never your fault. It is plain ridiculous. You should call his company and demand to speak to a manager over him and ask him to see the video evidence. You have those rights janelle. Second, Janelle all of us break now and then but we do have to learn to properly let that anger out and no thrash out but look at the situation and think ok what are my options. Then just pray to Heavenly Father for guidance, even these situations. He will soften peoples hearts even when people don't know he is doing it. You are an amazing girl Janelle and have come so far in your life through so much amazing spiritual experience. I look up to you as a sweet and strong woman and sister. So girl you did nothing wrong and you get this trial to learn but it doesn't mean to sit by and let a company walk all over your rights. Pray to Heavenly Father and see what he would have you do. I love ya!
Kimberli

Talyn said...

Haha oh my word! I can't even tell you how bad that ROMPS, missy. I would have done the exact same thing. Yup. Long nights at the B.O. will do that to you--OH! AND STUPID PEOPLE. I hate stupid people. I probably would have punched him in the face. Or wanted to. Yup.
I feel ya, sista!

Abbie said...

No, I think you had a total right to be angry. Those stupid booting guys are ridiculous - and rude too. I'm glad you yelled at him, though I'm sorry you still had to pay.

Lisa said...

I'm sorry, but I'm really cracking up right now because I would have liked to have been a spectator for this whole event. That stinks that you still had to pay, but good for you for standing up for yourself. Everyone gets mad sometimes; at least you can recognize it. :)

Kate said...

That stinks! It shouldn't even matter if it was visible or not, you HAD the right to park there, and you proved it by showing him your pass. What a jerk. Be careful though, I bet he's going to watch your car very closely now cause you probably offended him. ;) Just teasing.

Erin R. said...

Oh babe...I am so sorry! You know that tow-truck drivers in Provo have a huge stick up their bum....I swear, sometimes it is the size of a log! Can I say that? I've been there too and it totally sucks! Grant agrees too. I guess it depends on how far you want to take this....I would be interested in seeing what type of video they take too, but I totally think he was lying too. I don't think I am helping much, so I am done.

Rynell said...

You were totally in the right--no anger management necessary. And I think your manager should have gone to bat for you.