Saturday, March 28, 2009

Oh, The Wonders Of Our Backyard

Yesterday, I decided to take advantage of the sunshine that followed a few days of rain and a 1/2 inch of snow, and take some pictures of the blooming flowers in our backyard.

Beautiful hyacinths

Johnny Jump-ups

Then, as I was headed inside, I saw a black object on the grass near the fence. I went to investigate and saw that it was a cloth pouch that looked like it would hold sunglasses. "Hmm, how did this get here?" I wondered. Well, I picked it up and noticed that it wasn't one solid object inside. I felt the bag a little and thought I felt the lens of glasses inside and thought that, although it felt a little weird, it was just a pair of broken sunglasses. Strange. They weren't mine or Ben's, so where did they come from? Oh well. I took the pouch inside. A couple minutes later, I picked it up and dumped the contents out onto the kitchen table. Here's what I found:

Yes, folks, that's right. Your eyes are NOT deceiving you. This is a pile of drug paraphernalia. This is someone's stash of needles and a spoon either for Meth or Cocaine/Crack. YIKES!! In my backyard?!?!! I have NO clue how this ended up in our yard other than the idea that someone was ditching it in a hurry and didn't remember where they tossed it or they just didn't have the chance to come back yet to retrieve it. Scary!!! Good thing we don't have kids playing in the yard that found it! We will, however, make sure to do a thorough check before sending any nieces and nephews outside anytime they come to visit! Wow. It's sad to know that there is possibly at least one person in our quiet little neighborhood engaged in drug activity. What a destructive habit. We called the police and an officer came out to the house to pick it up and thanked us for calling so it could be disposed of properly. We're just glad to be rid of it and glad we found it before the person came back for it. Should we leave a note where I found it and tell them that if they want it back they need to call the police?! :)

8 comments:

Ashley said...

Oh my gosh...I'm totally freaked out for you. I would have been a little nervous to call the police, but I definitely think it was the right thing to do. Hopefully, they can watch your neighborhood a bit and maybe catch anyone doing that stuff. But seriously? What if you had kids? I think your idea of leaving a note is classic. You have to do it. And then write...stay out of my backyard you druggie!

Abbie said...

AH! That's just freaky! And disgusting too. Haha, but I do think you should leave a note there. Haha!

dixonfamily said...

That is scary!! I'm so glad you guys found it before anyone else did. I've never been that up close and personal with any drug stuff. I think I would have been totally freaked out! Love your flower pics by the way!

Kate said...

Uh yikes! Those are insulin syringes. Maybe someone just lost their insulin syringes. Someone might be suffering from really high blood sugar right now and needs those syringes! j/k That's really weird though. Hope they don't come back looking for it. PS I finally saw Twilight last night, and despite the cheesy scenes, I liked it a lot!

Ben and Janelle said...

My first thought when I saw the contents of the bag was also 'diabetes', but as soon as Ben saw the spoon he knew the needles were being used for drugs. The police officer also said the same thing about diabetes, but said that the spoon gives it away. I guess the spoon is used to hold the drug and then it is melted and they inject the liquid into their veins with the needles. ICK!!!

Kate said...

I would have never known that about the spoon. I hope you washed your hands good. Wouldn't want to get Hepatitis or anything. Good thing you found it too, and not your nieces and nephews!

Lisa said...

And I thought we lived in a nice, quiet neighborhood...

In high school, I bought a used car from a college student, and a few months later, I found a small bag of marijuana hidden in it. Scary.

Arizona Dunbars said...

Jan, sometimes you just can't hide your sins. Good call just playin' like you had no clue what it was. No one will ever know. You gotta love the Utah crazies.