Tuesday, April 21, 2009

Playing Favorites Of The Senses


Janelle's Favorite...
Sounds
Frogs at night, crickets at night, thunder, baby laughter, coyotes howling, rain, ocean waves, streams and rivers, waterfalls, doves cooing, quail, birds chirping, trains in the distance, Ben's voice and laughter, soft music, wind chimes

Sights
Lightning, sunsets, rainbows, mountains covered in trees and lush vegetation, beautiful lakes, waterfalls, raging rivers, snow, fog, blooming trees, rocky mountains, waves crashing, Ben's smile, hot air balloons floating in the sky, candle light, Christmas lights, fall colors

Smells
Rain, flowers (esp. roses and lilacs), eucalyptus trees in California, BBQ and other meat cooking, baked bread, cinnamon, pumpkin, baked potatoes, vanilla, new clothes and shoes, Ben's cologne, fresh strawberries, pine trees, Mexican vanilla extract, baked chicken

Feelings
Fresh crisp spring and fall air in the mornings and evenings, Ben's hugs, soft blankets and sheets, soft animals, pillow top mattresses, relaxing, soaking in a tub, curling up under clean sheets after a relaxing shower, love, safety, massages, cool water on a hot day

Tastes
Pizza, meat (roast, steak, burgers), baked potatoes, fresh cool water, fresh strawberries, fresh pineapple, nectarines, plumbs, salad with ranch, homemade gravy (beef or turkey), vanilla tootsie rolls, fresh warm rolls with melted butter, french toast, Sobe beverages, donuts, Mom's fudge, some cookies, cake with butter cream icing, Los Hermanos bean and chicken burrito with green sauce, milk when eating pasta, muffins (banana nut, cinnamon streusel, poppy seed), cottage cheese (with applesauce or strawberries), garden tomatoes, and much more (I love food!)

The one and only thing that prompted this entire post was the fact that I can hear the frogs at night when we have our windows open. This is something that reminds me of my home in Chino Valley where I grew up. Living out in the farming area of the town, I heard all sorts of beautiful sounds. I always loved opening the windows at night and early morning in the spring and summer and hearing frogs and crickets (sounds I fell asleep to regularly), coyotes howling, doves cooing in the crisp morning air, etc. I loved it (although I didn't love it if there were too many coyotes really close or a cricket IN the house)! I have really missed those things since moving away. However, I have been thrilled these last few nights to hear the frogs! I have heard them before, but only when outside and from a great distance if I strained my ear and listened hard. Now, perhaps from all the rain and snow, there are more and they are close enough that I can hear them very well from the couch or bed with the windows open. I feel like I'm at home again!

3 comments:

Ashley said...

Me too! Me too! I love the sound of frogs so much! Growing up in Indiana, we had a field behind our house...some years the farmer planted corn and other years soy beans. But regardless there was a corner of the field that always flooded in the spring. Seriously, it was like we had a lake front property. And every spring we would listen to the frogs and watch the fireflies. Makes me miss home so much! I missed that so much on my mission that my mom sent me a tape recording of the frogs. Seriously, both sides of a 90 minute tape, just frogs. haha...I love my mom.

Kate said...

I like those things too. :) But you're even more lucky that your frogs/toads don't carry any poisonous venom like they do here.

Scooter-Pie said...

I have to say I agree Jan. I love the fact that here in Tooele we can hear crickets, morning doves, etc. Funny enough, about a week ago, at the old rodeo grounds right near us they had about 15 cows and at night we heard them moo-ing, and it felt like home for me (Granted it annoyed the heck out of Kim, but I was used to it :-) ) I definitely miss the crisp CV Mornings, the smell of dew on the grass, the coyotes yelping away in the field, etc.

Funny enough, one smell that I REALLY miss that many may have never experienced, was when I worked out at PSR, first thing in the morning (about 7 am), when we would go down to the gravel pit, get the first load of material to bring up to the screen's feed hopper, and we would open the trailer and let that moist, cold, fresh dirt fall into the hopper, the smell was something I have never found anywhere else. The smell of freshly dug, moist, earth in fresh clean air. Ahh, the memories :-)