Sunday, May 10, 2009

A Day Out

Ben and I took some time yesterday to have a whole day out doing something fun; no errands, no responsibilities, just fun. We took a trip up to Salt Lake and went to:
Actually, I did go to a photography class at 8am first, but then we drove up to the zoo! It was the first time I had gone (Ben's second time) and it was a lot of fun. I haven't been to a lot of zoos, but it seemed like it was a decent size. They had a pretty good selection of animals, and they even had a bird show that was entertaining. It was nice to have a day out and to have some fun together.
I don't think I've seen a kangaroo at a zoo before (but like I said, I haven't been to many zoos...maybe only 3 besides this one)!

Open up and say "Ahhh"! This elephant was reaching up to get some bananas that were hanging. It was amazing to watch the elephants eat. They just picked up the fruit that was scattered on the ground with their long trunks and stuck the whole thing in their mouths. They picked up a whole cantaloupe, oranges with the peels, bananas with the peels, apples, etc. And they did it so quickly too! I am also amazed by how much control they have over their huge trunks. They easily manipulate them to pick up whatever they're eating (even a small piece of banana left behind)!

I've seen penguins at Sea World but I wasn't expecting to see them at the zoo! (Again, I am inexperienced when it comes to what animals should be at a zoo.)

I love zebras. I think it's so interesting that the noise they make is so far different from a horse's. They're in the same family aren't they? But then again, mules and donkeys are in the family and sound quite different from a horse, too. I don't know. It's just weird to me. I think the sounds should all be similar within the same family (like the big cats all roar, but the tones are different...).

I also really love giraffes. They are so odd-looking! Their body shape is so strange and they have such crazy-long necks! Nevertheless, I still think they're really cool. And speaking of noises animals make, does anyone know if giraffes make a noise?!

This guy was amazing. The peacocks just wander around and this one was on the side of the path and fluffed up his feathers for such a long time! I had never seen one do it in person before. It's amazing and beautiful!

Here are some more pics from the zoo. Enjoy! :)

1 comment:

Natalie and Steve said...

You take such great pictures!