Monday, August 31, 2009

Can Someone Tell Me How? (Revised)

*This was revised from the original. I think I was misunderstood and made people mad. Sorry about that! Thanks for your comments Elise, Delcie, and Kate (they were deleted along with the original post).*
I am looking for someone that can give me some insight into how I can better pay attention and gain something from Sacrament and my other church meetings. I live in a very large ward with a LOT of young families with young children. I love children, but...they can be so noisy!
I am only talking about the kids that are allowed to carry on with the noise minute after minute,

are allowed to play with noisy toys,

and that bother others with little-to-no parental intervention. I am not talking about mini-outbursts that end quickly or basic, simple noise. I fully understand that noise comes along with kids as a package deal, but I feel like some parents don't make much effort to keep the noise to a minimum or take their children out when necessary, thus distracting others.
Examples of my struggle to learn and feel the Spirit today:
A young family sat behind us in Sacrament and I was constantly being touched by one or the other of their two children. If the back of my chair wasn't being pulled on, then the empty chair next to me was being shaken. If my shoulders weren't being touched as the child pulled on my chair, then my bum and lower back were getting the attention as they played on the floor behind me. If it happens a couple times, no big deal! When it goes on during the entire meeting, that's when I think the parents should intervene and help make sure their kids don't bother others like that. It made it really hard to pay attention.
In Relief Society, I was on the second row and still couldn't hear the teacher because of the noise. At least two babies were sitting and exercising their lungs for long periods of time with no action from the parent. A Sister even had to call out to the teacher that she needed to speak up. Not taking them out, but letting them continue being disruptive made it hard to focus and learn.
So, since I will be in this ward for a while still, I would like to find a way that I can focus despite all the distractions, since I know that they are inevitable. I think that sitting in the front pews in Sacrament would help, but what about Relief Society and Sunday School?
**I appreciate all the moms out there and know that it's not easy. I am not saying it's the parents' fault that there is noise. Thanks to those of you that try so hard and do so much to make church a spiritual learning experience for others! :) **

2 comments:

Erin R. said...

I know this must be very frustrating for you. I would try giving the parents the benefit-of-the-doubt that they are doing their best. It is hard to find an absolutely silent toy or treat. It is also hard to take your young children and stay the whole meeting. Church messes up their normal schedule that they are on every other day of the week. There are so many times that Grant and I say, "Is this worth it?" and think about just taking the boys home. But, it is our responsibility as parents to take them to church and teach them that this is where they need to be. Babies are a hard one too because you can't explain to them that they need to whisper when they are discovering new things about themselves on a daily basis. Sometimes RS is the only female interaction moms get during the week and so that is why they want to stay, hear the lesson and participate even if their little one is being a little noisy. I would suggest being a few minutes late, scoping out where the little kids are sitting and then sit as far away as you can. If you feel that you are still distracted, you could always read the scriptures the Sunday School lesson is going over or the lesson from the RS manual or Ensign. Also, just try to be patient because one day you will probably be in their shoes and hope that the people around you are patient and understanding too. I hope it gets better! Good luck!

Arizona Dunbars said...
This comment has been removed by the author.