Saturday, August 29, 2009

Stolen!

This afternoon, our Internet wasn't working properly so Ben went downstairs to reset the wireless router. He came back up asking me if I knew where the old computer was. I told him that it should still be down there on the floor next to the router where we used it last. He assured me it wasn't there. I went down with him and looked all around, but there was no computer in sight! I began to worry a little bit because all of our pictures from before we got the new computer are on there and we have no back-up of them at all. I would hate to lose them! Ben threw out the idea that someone may have stolen it since neither of us moved it and we couldn't find it anywhere. I was not sold on that idea because it just didn't make sense that someone would break in to the house, go straight downstairs, and steal an old computer when there was a much nicer one upstairs! Besides, nothing else was taken and how would someone have broken in without us knowing it? We have an alarm which we always set and it would have been activated if someone had been in the house. No, I was sure it wasn't stolen...yet I found myself entertaining the idea as we continued to search for the mysteriously missing computer.
That's when Ben told me that he knew for sure it was there a day ago when he used it to check his email. I asked him if he was sure he didn't move it while using it, but he assured me that he hadn't because it had to be connected directly to the router to use the Internet and the cord isn't long enough to allow much movement. As I looked around the area a third time, a possibility came to mind. I asked him if he had taken it upstairs to our office to print anything. I headed upstairs as he thought about it and sheepishly answered the question with a "yes." Sure enough, the computer was not stolen, only moved upstairs and was laying on the floor next to the printer. Silly Ben! :)

3 comments:

Kate said...

Ha ha! That's funny. I hate when that happens with my wallet. Panic time.

Rebecca said...

That's funny! I was getting nervous for you guys!

Delcie said...

You know. That kind of forgetfulness only get worse with age!