Sunday, November 1, 2009

Halloween Haunts

Halloween was a long, yet fun, day for us this year. It started out with me getting up and getting ready for work. When you work at Brick Oven, having a shift on Halloween means you get to wear a costume. Ben came up with a great idea for me for this year:
Yep! I was the Swine Flu (H1N1 virus)! I was so excited about it because it was so clever and funny (no offense to anyone that has contracted the virus). I got a lot of comments on it from both employees and customers. It was a fun one, although a tad embarrassing to be wearing a pig nose all day!Ben picked me up after work and we had a quick dinner at Costa Vida before heading home. When we got home, we headed over to the church for the annual Trunk-or-Treat. This was the first year we participated in it, and it was fun (crazy with lots of kids, but fun). We decided the car needed a costume too, so we turned the trunk space into a spooky, haunted graveyard. It looked so cool and everyone loved it. There were no prizes for best trunk, but some people commented on how ours should have won a prize. We also had cool spooky music playing from the rear speakers.Ben was willing to sport a costume this year, so he participated in the Swine Flu fun by dressing up as:
I drew the syringe onto cardboard, cut it out, spray painted it white, painted the black lines, and added the words by cutting them out on my Cricut machine. The needle was a pencil covered in tin foil. I think it turned out great!
After the Trunk-or-Treat, we headed home, cleaned up the car, and then went over to our neighbor's house for some chili and a camp fire. This has been a tradition since we all moved in 4 years ago. I didn't get any pictures this year, but we did have a good time.
Yes, there's more to this long day. After the campfire, Ben and I headed back to Brick Oven for an over-crowded party they throw for the employees. There is free pizza, rootbeer, a costume contest and karaoke. I did not participate in the latter, but I did win third place for "Most Creative Costume". Unfortunately, there was no prize for third place, but at least I placed! :) Here's the winner for both "Creative Costume", and "Best Overall" (though I don't think he should have been allowed to win both, nor do I think his costume is exactly "creative"...):
Ben and I left the party at about 11:15 and drove home. We unwound from our long and hectic day, and then got some shut-eye (an extra hour, I might add, since day-light savings time ended!).
Here are more pictures of others' costumes yesterday (some aren't the best pics because I forgot to use the flash):

6 comments:

Kate said...

Ha ha! I like the swine flu idea. Love clever costumes! ;)

Lisa said...

How fun! I'm sorry I missed seeing your car in person! I had ambitions to decorate ours, but couldn't get around to it. Jeff took the kids around to the cars while I handed stuff out. The trunk or treat is always a crazy free-for-all and goes by really fast. I wish our quad did a cool campfire and chili party!!

Walker said...

That is such a great costume! I love it and of course I liked Ben's too! You are so creative! Looks like some fun activities you guys have been doing!

Arizona Dunbars said...

So the guy that won everything, is he the manager? What was he anyway?

Ben and Janelle said...

No, he's not the manager, but he is well-liked by everyone. He's a server. He was "The Big, Bad Wolf".

Delcie said...

I LOVE those costumes!! Very fun!