MorningBad: Woke up at 6:30am to go meet with other Brick Oven employees to be in the Homecoming parade. Yuck. I hate getting up early.
Bad: Arrived and realized we were all an hour early because our manager that was in charge of everything thought the parade started at 9am, rather than 10.
Good: Our manager bought McDonald's sausage McMuffins for everyone since we all had to stand around for another hour. :)
Good: Had fun in the parade. I rode in the back of the Brick Oven van with two other girls. We handed other employees two-liters of root beer to hand out to the crowd, as well as pizza boxes with $5 coupons inside. We yelled and cheered for Brick Oven and BYU, and had fun seeing people (esp. kids) receive the goodies we were handing out. People would send their little kids running after the van to try to claim a prize. They were so cute! Even adults were running after the van!
Good: I headed into Brick Oven at 10:50am to start my shift for the day (20 minutes late due to the parade...but it was forgiven). Shortly after, I was made aware that my friend Erin and her family were just outside the restaurant watching the parade and would be coming in to eat.
Good: All those that participated in the parade were also fed pizza when everyone got back from it. Yum!
Afternoon
G: A coworker of mine was willing to trade shifts with me so I could go to the game! She was scheduled to be off at 4 (game starting at 5:30), and I was scheduled to work from noon until sometime after the game (probably until closing or shortly before). She was so awesome and switched with me! I was able to leave at 4 so I could be at the Homecoming game. :)
B: It finally started to get busy at about 2:30 (about an hour earlier than I predicted it would be busy). But not only did it get busy...it became insane! We had to go on a wait, and there came a time that we had open tables to seat, but I was unable to seat any of them because I was constantly writing down names. I eventually had an inexperienced person take names while I called people to be seated. Even then, it was a challenge because during all of that rush, we were trying to change our seating board so that we knew where the night shift people would work. Some servers were still on from day, new night people were coming in and we had no idea where they were serving. Once we finally got things changed over, we didn't know which servers were here for night and which were still helping out from day. It was a nightmare. To make matters worse, some crazy lady kept bothering me!! She started as a party of 4 (quoted 30-35 minutes wait time), but then added two more people. We have way fewer seats for parties of 6, so it increased her wait time, but only by about 10 minutes, just like every other party of 5 or 6. She kept coming up every minute (literally) asking me how much longer it would be, if we were any closer to her name yet, when I would start seating parties of 6 (I had called several small parties up, but still didn't have places for 6). Over and over again she would ask how much longer and try to find out what was taking so long. I wanted to shout at her to just sit down and shut up and it would be ready when it's ready!! But I didn't. I tried very hard to maintain my professionalism, but it was the hardest time of it I have ever had! Finally, after she waited a grand total of 43 minutes, she was seated. Good riddance! I have never been as stressed in my entire 3 years at Brick Oven as I was that afternoon. It was crazy, and that lady did nothing but make it worse. Sheesh!
Evening
G: Ben and I made it to the game and bought a yummy Cougar Tail doughnut. It is a super long doughnut with maple icing (thus resembling a cougar's tail).
B: The game that I thought would be exciting was horrible! BYU was stomped by TCU. We scored ONE lousy touchdown the entire game (but at least we got one). Final score 38-7. Yuck. And here my friend at work had traded shifts so I could go to the fun and exciting Homecoming game, and they trampled us! Yes, we still had fun being there, but the crowd lost its excitement by the second half. People left early, and there wasn't much cheering going on. What a disappointing game. :(
Overall
Overall, it was an okay day. The best parts were the morning and after Ben and I got home from the game and relaxed. One sad thing about the whole day is that I didn't have my camera with me and got a total of zero pictures of everything! What was I thinking?!
2 comments:
Oh my word... your description of a busy day at the BO brings back a lot of memories... good and bad!!!!
I do miss it there sometimes...except when I hear stories like that!
Post a Comment