Wednesday, December 16, 2009

Noteworthy

I felt it was noteworthy to mention that Ben and I went to a free concert on Sunday. It was held at the Springville Museum of Art and was very family/sabbath friendly. That, however, is about the only good thing about it! It was the Utah Valley Bell Ringers concert, and it was not the best experience we've had. Overall, I atually really love listening to the pretty sound of hand bells, but here's why we didn't like it:
1. It was very cramped. The performers were sort of arranged in the corner, with the audience both in front of them and to their left (laid out a bit like the letter 'L'). It was also all on the same level, so it was almost impossible to see if you weren't up front.
2. A lot of the songs didn't really make sense. They would have a medley, but stop abrutly before changing to the next song, rather than having a nice transition. Also, sometimes you just couldn't tell what it was supposed to sound like because there was too much going on at the same time and made it sound all jumbled up.
3. The conductor doubled as the comic relief, only she wasn't very funny! After every single song, she would start talking and open up question/answer time and try to be funny.

Ben and I weren't the only ones who thought it wasn't the best. People left early, kids plugged their ears, and both kids and adults fell asleep! Ha! Good thing it was free!
Something we did like was the fact that, overall, the sound of the bells was pretty. Also, there were some songs that were fun to listen to and some that were very pretty. If nothing else, we came away with a bit of a laugh and a story to tell. :)

1 comment:

Lisa said...

That's so funny that it was that bad. I thought about trying to take the kids, but I'm glad I didn't.