Afterwards, he said that we needed to go back to his apartment to open the gift he got for me. We got there and he had me take a seat while he brought out this huge box!
For me?! What could it be?! Inside was this:
a motorcycle helmet. Not every girls' dream birthday gift from her boyfriend. I don't know what I expected, but it wasn't a helmet! I was kind and gracious and tried to look at the bright side; now I'd have a helmet to wear on his bike that matched his and would help keep me safe! :) Then I noticed that inside the helmet was a smaller, flat, rectangular box. There's more?! I opened it up and found that there was a theme; leather motorcycle gloves this time. Okay, still not the best gift ever, but hey, it was kinda cool. Ben told me to try the gloves on. I slid my right hand into the glove. It was a bit tight but I didn't want him to know, so I told him it was great! Then he insisted that I try on the other glove to make sure it fit as well. I laughed and told him he was being silly. Of course it would fit...they're a matching set! BUT, to humor him, I decided to give in. As I went to reposition the glove, something jumped out at me. There was a rather large, very sparkly, diamond ring attached to the ring finger of the glove!!! I couldn't help but gasp in surprise, excitement, happiness, and a little bit of shock. I clasped my hand over my mouth and looked at him. CLICK!
Ben got the shot of my reaction. He then came over and got down and said, "Janelle, will you marry me?" I shouted my response, a profound YES, and tackled him to the floor giggling and kissing him. Now THAT'S the kind of gift a girl wants from her boyfriend on her birthday! :)
Because of the "plan" to go to Temple Square, I was definitely completely surprised by the proposal on my birthday instead. Sure, I had little flutterings of hope that maybe he would, but I was so sure it wouldn't happen until Salt Lake, especially when I saw the giant box that was certainly not an engagement ring! Ha! :) Tricky little man of mine! So when I saw the ring and was faced with the need to answer him sooner than I had planned, I couldn't help but say yes! It was my natural instinct. I still hadn't had that big 'yes', but it was enough for me to know that I couldn't bear to be without him, and the only way to ensure that was to marry him! :)
He was so sneaky, too! We talked about how when I would question him about what he had done with his day, he would have to lie because he didn't want me to know he had been ring shopping. At one point, he was over visiting me and already had the ring...with him!! He had even called my dad without me knowing to get his permission. The funny thing is that my dad said no! Well, not really 'no', but just 'not yet'. During the entire time we dated (7 months), my parents had not had a single chance to meet him. They would be coming up to Utah from Arizona for my graduation from BYU later in the month, and my dad wanted him to wait until they had met him before going forward with it. Ben was brave and did it anyway, because he had it all planned out and wanted to surprise me with it on my birthday.
After we talked about wedding plans for a little bit, we went back over to my apartment. My roommates were waiting for me, pretty much knowing before I did that I would be coming back with a ring on my finger. There was also a beautiful bouquet of two dozen red and pink roses awaiting me from Ben as a kind of reward for saying 'yes'.
This year, since everything was on the same day it was the year he proposed, we sort of relived the past a bit. We went to Outback for dinner,
and went over to the same apartment where he had proposed to open my gifts. 
**(the apartment is the one on the second floor. The sliding door above my head leads to the living room where he proposed!)**
We didn't go inside...we just opened the gifts in the car and took some pictures of the outside of the apartment.



**(Can you believe that in the almost 6 years we've been married, we've never owned a blender?!)**
**(He even gave me a ring again!! He hasn't given me one since he proposed...)**
Then we went back home and had some delicious carrot cake,
and watched a movie. Can you guess what movie by reading the following movie quotes?
** "I feel good, I feel great, I feel wonderful. I feel good, I feel great, I feel wonderful."
** "He's just so far above us. We're like ropes on the Goodyear Blimp."
** "I just never gave up hope!"
** "I'm sailing!! A-HOY!"
** "NO...I don't need any Valium. I want some peace, and quiet!" "Okay, I'll be quiet." "And I'll be peace!"
** "Don't touch my SISTER!"
** "You think he's gone? He's not gone. He's NEVER gone!" "Is this some radical new therapy?" "YOU SEE!!"
** "Baby steps for four o'clock."
** "Don't worry, I know what to do."
Okay. I'll stop. I just can't help it! There are just so many funny, quotable lines. Do you know what it is? :)
Anyway, this year was a fun birthday to celebrate. I am so happy with how everything turned out six years ago, and am so grateful to be here now with my wonderful husband. Thank you for a great evening, my love!!
7 comments:
ah, that's a wondeful proposal/birthday! I love that you relive the experience. Congrats, love ya!
Great post! I recognized our old apartment! Good times!
That is just so sweet! you two are an amazing couple.
That's so cute how he proposed! Very clever. Why was your dad upset about your engagement? I like your new ring too. :)
Kate...he was only upset because Ben went ahead and proposed before my dad was able to meet him. My dad wanted him to wait and didn't know what the rush was, but Ben didn't want to wait because he had planned it all to happen on my birthday. That's all. :)
That's a fun birthday and proposal story!
Good stuff Jan. You never have shared that story with me. Now I know. And thanks for the great movie quotes!!
Post a Comment