Wednesday, April 25, 2012

Smoosh

I am going to smoosh another group of blog posts all together in one for things that happened in March. Again, some (if not all) were on FB, but I want them on the blog, too! :)
1. One night while staying in a hotel during our transition to New Braunfels, Ben and I had McDonald's for dinner.  I like lots of salt on my fries, so I opened one of their little packets and put it on a napkin so I could dip my fries in it. Yum! I had another napkin in my hand for wiping my face, but at one point, I set it down and then when I needed it again, I picked up the one with the salt and dumped the salt all over myself!!  Hahaha!  I had salt down my shirt, on my shirt, on my pants, and on the bed.  McDonald's salt is extra fine, too! Haha!
 2. Ben and I had Sonic for lunch and his chicken sandwich was sticking his tongue out at us!!
 3. On our first Sunday in our new ward, I noticed that for one family, Cheerios are no longer the snack of choice at church.  They have been replaced by a full peanut butter and jelly sandwich, complete with jelly dripping to the floor. Haha! I am not judging, but it was a first for me!  I saw one of those LDS movies where something like that happens, you know, to be funny...but I saw it first-hand! :)

 4. When we moved into the duplex, we had to get a refrigerator.  We're renting, yet I guess because it's a duplex/house, we had to provide our own just as if we were buying a house.  Anyway, we did get a pretty decent one (Frigidaire 18.2 cubic feet, glass shelves, etc) and it works well! However, we also did not get a washer and dryer.  Boo.  Even though laundry is a chore...it's even more so when you have to go to a laundromat to do it.  Yuck.  So expensive and just a little bit dirty, and it makes it a little more complicated to get laundry done.  NOT A FAN. :)

5. I LOVE two kinds of Girl Scout cookies, but I have found it to be a bit challenging sometimes to procure said cookies.  Therefore, I have found almost identical substitutes that you can get year-round, and they're cheaper (but I know that the GS cookies are a sort of fundraiser and I support them in that and would be willing to pay for them still).  I LOVE these Keebler options, and even recently found that Walmart provides the Great Value option of the Coconut Dreams cookies, too!

 6. I had heard a lot about The Hunger Games a while ago and how good the books were.  Ben and I listened to the first book on CD while doing a one-day drive from Utah to Tyler, TX for Ben's interview a year ago (over 20 hours in one day. Yikes!).  We loved it!  I then bought all the books and we read the other 2 and were so excited to see the movie when it came out on March 23rd.  It was very well done.  A little less gruesome than the book, well-cast, and overall very good.  It is, of course, condensed and felt a little rushed as it moved along, but was still a really good movie. :)
 7. There was a night here that was pretty stormy!  It was windy, lots of rain, and constant flashes of lighting accompanied by lots of thunder! I don't think I've ever seen that much lighting in such quick succession! And only an hour away from us, a tornado touched down! I don't think there are often many tornadoes in this part of Texas, but it was a little scary to realize that it wasn't really that far away that one did hit!

8. I got a job! I guess I don't HAVE to work any more, but 1) it keeps me busy, 2) it's always good to have the income for a variety of reasons.  I was pretty lucky this time because I was hired at the first place I applied!  It took me about 2 months to get a job in Tyler! The funny thing is that in Tyler, I would have been hired sooner, had I applied at a restaurant sooner.  I really didn't want to, but I was getting desperate and so I was hired at the first restaurant I applied at (Applebee's).  I was grateful to have that job, and I am grateful for this new one, too.  They are closed on Sundays, have tons of cute home decor items, craft items, fabric, party supplies, etc.  I am a cashier and I like it well-enough for a job to keep me busy and provide some additional income.  I may still prefer something else that allows me to work M-F, days only, but this is still good. :)
 9. I have a calling.  On our second Sunday in our new ward, I was asked to teach the 6-year-olds in Primary! I have been in Primary before and it's pretty good.  I am happy to do it.  I was finally sustained and set-apart recently, but still have not been contacted about teaching (this last Sunday was Stake Conference, I was only sustained and set-apart the week before that).  This coming Sunday should be my official first day, but I haven't been given a manual yet.  I need to contact someone!

10. I was working during all Saturday sessions of General Conference, but my 2nd cousin posted this picture of David Archuleta singing with the missionary choir!!! How cool! Does anyone know where he's serving??
And that, my friends, is March.  Keep checking back as I start to blog about the month of April so far! :)

3 comments:

Erin R. said...

Oh!! I've seen that picture from Conference on FB but I didn't know who it was. Silly Erin....

Lisa said...

What?! I did not know keebler made a version of the Samoas!

Kate said...

Hi - do you have a brother that works at McDonalds in Chino? Do I have something stuck in my braces? lol! Now we can add, "where did my salt go?" YUM! I LOOOOVE samoa girl scout cookies. I could eat 5 boxes a day if I were rich (and wanted to die). Haven't seen Hunger Games yet. I've heard it was awesome, and then I've heard it was disturbing too. I think I will wait to rent it for a good, cheap date night. :)