Friday, March 6, 2009

Getting Over It

I am coming to grips with what happened on The Bachelor (clearly I got way into it this season). Here's how it is: Jason had to choose, so he chose the one he thought he was most completely in love with (Melissa). Well, "you don't know what you've got till it's gone," and "absence makes the heart grow fonder." He changed his mind. Once he lost Molly, he finally realized just how much he cared about her and just how right she was for him. It happens all the time that we make a decision when faced with two options, and we sometimes regret the choice we made and wish that we had gone the other way. I'm not any happier about it, but I've accepted it and in the end, he did what he thought was best for all parties. I still think he could have been more classy about it though, and I am still done watching these shows.

5 comments:

Ashley said...

I'm glad you have come to grips with what happened. I haven't! I'm still ticked. Yes, I watched the second after the rose show. Yes, they tried to make what Jason did look so noble. He kept saying he acted with integrity. Whatever! Yes, I realize it's just a show and I got too wrapped up in it. And yes, like you, I will not be watching these shows again.
It still makes me so mad that everyone was patting Jason on the back saying things like, "Better he realized now." And, "You should always follow your heart and live without regrets." Fine. Truthfully, I also think it's good that he realized he was in love with Molly and called things off with Melissa before marrying her. Truthfully, I do think you should follow your heart and try to live without regrets. But what I don't think we should do and what TV advocates all too much is that a person should just do whatever makes them feel good regardless of who they hurt in the process. No, I do not believe in choice without accountability.
Maybe Jason had to choose someone, but he did NOT have to propose to someone. Wouldn’t it have been the mature and responsible thing to do to say at the final rose ceremony, “Melissa, I just called things off with Molly. It was a really difficult thing for me to do, but I did it because I’m falling in love with you and I think you could be the one for me. However, I have a young son involved and both you and I have had terrible heart breaks in the past. Would you be willing to accept this rose (NOT RING) and see where things go from here?” Then, if 6 weeks later things didn’t work out and Jason realized he was really in love with Molly…I think it would have made perfect sense to privately call things off with Melissa and go on National TV to ask Molly for a second chance. In my mind that would have been the perfect scenario. No one would have been inappropriately led on. No one would have been hurt beyond a reasonable degree.
I’m sorry, but you should not give anyone an engagement ring unless you are confident that you want to spend the rest of your life with them. You shouldn’t do it just because producers of a National TV show are telling you to do so, especially when a young child is involved. And most especially, if marriage really is sacred and means so much to you, you would not give a woman a ring just 5 minutes after your heart was clearly torn out of your chest because you had to call things off with another woman.
Fine, Jason was really in love with Molly and felt it was best for everyone involved calling things off with Melissa and pursuing a relationship with Molly- and you know what? I agree that it probably was the best thing to do. But I will never agree that the way he did it was right. And I will never agree or come to grips with the attitude that a man can just to whatever makes him feel good regardless of consequences and that he’s going to be glorified for following his heart. That’s a load of crap!

And you thought you were too involved this season! ;-)

Kate said...

I love the Bachelor! I admit it. I missed this season and the last though. I really wish I would have seen this one. Sounded like a surprising ending.

Ben and Janelle said...

Ashley...I totally agree with EVERYTHING you said, but I'm just tired of wasting time thinking about it and being mad about it, thus the "Getting Over It" post. :)

Walker said...

I think I have come to grips to, or at least that is what I am telling myself. I too told myself that I was done watching Bachelor/Bachelorette forever when Deanna did not pick Jason. I said that was the dumbest show ever and would never watch it again, because I became very involved. That obviously didn't happened because here I am talking about this one.

Ashley said...

Yea, I guess I'm over it! Until the next time I think about what a dummy Jason is. :-) And then I will rant and rave for 20 minutes all over again. I seriously waste too much energy on this stuff, huh? :-) Truth is, I'm a bit of a drama queen. I bet you never knew that. I'm just so glad there's someone else I can vent my frustrations too...Jared just doesn't seem to understand why I was so upset. haha...Maybe you and I should watch Bachelor again just so we have something "fun" to get all worked up over and share our feelings about. What do you think? Yea, me neither!