The other half didn't have any extra and they ran out of oil while waiting for the Bridegroom to arrive. When they were gone to buy more, the bridegroom came and took the wedding party and the 5 wise virgins inside with him. When they returned, they were not allowed to enter.
We have been told that we need to be like the half that were prepared. But what exactly does this mean? It means we need to prepare ourselves as much as we can for the coming of the Lord. We don't know when it will be, and we don't want to run out of "oil". Last week in Relief Society, we were given a bit more insight into this council. Our "lamps" need to be full, so what do we fill them with? Here are some suggestions we were given, but then I encourage you to take time to think of some of your own!
Tithes and Offerings; Temple Worship; Scripture Study; Family Home Evening; Attending Church Meetings (esp. Sacrament); Year's Supply/72 hr. kit; Modesty in Dress; Home and Visiting Teaching; Obeying the Word of Wisdom; Get and Stay Out of Debt; Serve in Callings; Follow the Prophet; Service to Others; Prayer; Love Your Neighbors/Self; Missionary Work; Good Music; Avoiding Vulgarity; Avoiding Pride; Honoring the Priesthood; Having Faith; Obtaining a True Testimony; Keeping the Sabbath Holy; Be an Example; Keep Commandments (the 10, and all others); Gain Knowledge from Good Books. It can sometimes seem overwhelming to us as we think of all the things we need to do to prepare ourselves and live good lives. I find it helpful to have it written out so I can see what those things are and know what I need to work on and what I am already doing well at. I hope it may help you as well. As we do the things above, we are adding "oil" to our "lamps".
I hope that we can remember that the Lord loves us, is mindful of us, and knows even the small efforts we make to prepare ourselves!
3 comments:
I loved this post. Thanks for the uplifting thought. You r such a great friend. Miss u guys deeply.
My kids broke my lamp!!!
Ha! I've heard they can do that. ;)
Post a Comment