Besides all the scratching, here are the other reasons I never want to have indoor cats again (as a reminder to myself in the future):
1. Hair. It floats in the air, it's on the counters sometimes, it gets on my clothes from other surfaces, it's on the dining room chairs they sleep on; it's everywhere!!
2. Litter. I hate to buy it, I hate to change it, I hate to smell it, I hate to step on it when it tracks around the apartment from their little feet.
3. Damage. Rolo (the white one) is such a trouble-maker! Sosa is actually a pretty good house cat, but Rolo gets into everything. He has knocked an empty water bottle off the top of the fridge a couple times, he knocks the magnets off the fridge, and he has broken a ceramic turtle that hangs on the edge of a potted plant. The original scratching post we bought is part of a little sleep/play cube and Rolo has successfully put holes in the fabric of the cube from biting it while playing! When they play with each other or even play by themselves, they get crazy and out of control. I just hate to hear all these noises and I worry that things are being damaged.
4. In the way. They are so often in the way! We go in the kitchen and they follow behind, meowing at us, thinking we are going to feed them. I have stepped on each of their tails once because they were underfoot and I didn't notice. If I leave the bathroom door open (which, let's face it...when you're home alone or even with your spouse in the other room...no kids, no guests...why bother closing the door every time?), Rolo likes to come in and just sit there (sometimes Sosa does too). Weird. They sit and sniff at and silently beg for our food all the time, even if it's not something they would actually eat, and they always want to sit on us when we're on the couch (though sometimes we let them...because despite all the trouble, they sure are cute!).
No, I do NOT like indoor cats. BUT...they are funny to watch when they play, even if it's just Rolo chasing after his own tail. I like feeling like they are protected from the heat and the few storms we've had, instead of worrying about them. I love how cute they are when they sleep, whether it be on the window sills,
4 comments:
Ah, but kids don't leave hair all over the place, at least not until they're teenagers!
First off, I am impressed that there is room under your bed for the cat.
:-)I am glad you are having this experience, so now I'm no longer the bad Dad for wanting outdoor pets. They are cute and Rolo has never been so clean and pretty.
Is the ottoman new? It looks like it is leather covered. Does it open like a hope chest?
This makes me laugh! Very clever with the foil! I'm pretty sure you won't have a problem with babies scratching furniture or shedding, but I'm sure you'll have to get creative keeping them out of other things.
Post a Comment